What We Do
At Girls on the Run we inspire girls to recognize their inner strength and celebrate what makes them one of a kind. Trained coaches lead small teams through our research-based curricula which includes dynamic discussions, activities and running games. Over the course of the ten-week program, girls in 3rd-8th grade develop essential skills to help them recognize their inner strength and celebrate what makes them one-of-a-kind. The program culminates with girls positively impacting their communities through a service project and being physically and emotionally prepared to complete a celebratory 5K event.
Why It Matters
Girls face social pressures and conflicting messages about how they should act and who they should be. Studies show that by adolescence, girls' confidence drops about twice as much as boys'. Friendships become more complicated and challenging, girls' perception of their academic ability declines, the likelihood of anxiety and depression increases and participation in physical activity plummets.
It doesn't have to be this way.
We believe that EVERY GIRL is inherently FULL OF POWER and POTENTIAL. By knowing they are the leaders of their lives, these are the girls who WILL CHANGE THE WORLD.
We Are Girls on the Run
A recent independent study led by Dr. Maureen Weiss, an expert in Positive Youth Development, found that Girls on the Run’s intentional life skills curriculum and highly trained coaches positively impact girls’ lives by helping them increase their self-confidence and ability to develop healthy relationships. Teachers routinely offer feedback that participation in the program increases academic performance and improves classroom behavior. Ninety-seven percent of participants said they learned critical life skills including managing emotions, intentional decision making, resolving conflict and helping others.
We inspire girls to be joyful, healthy and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running.
We envision a world where every girl knows and activates her limitless potential and is free to boldly pursue her dreams.
Our Core Values
- Recognize our power and responsibility to be intentional in our decision making
- Embrace our differences and find strength in our connectedness
- Express joy, optimism and gratitude through our words, thoughts and actions
- Nurture our physical and emotional health
- Lead with an open heart and assume positive intent
- Stand up for ourselves and others
learn. dream. live. run.™
- August 21, 2021: The Cub - first race in the High Country Triple Crown
- August 27, 2021: GOTR-HC Season Registration opens
- September 12, 2021 1:00-5:00pm: Coach Training for Fall Season of GOTR
- September 20, 2021: Fall season start date for all sites in-person
- September 25, 2021: The Knob, second race in the High Country Triple Crown
- October 23, 2021: High Country Half Marathon, third race in the High Country Triple Crown
- December 5, 2021: GOTR-HC 5k, Wilkesboro
- December 6, 2021: Registration opens for the SPRING GOTR-HC Season