These classes are for Appalachian State University's faculty and staff through departmental organization.
American Heart Association First Aid/CPR/AED Certification
These courses use a blended learning format. This consists of online modules and in-person skills checks. All First Aid, CPR, and AED training carries a 2-year certification.
- First Aid: Participants learn to recognize and care for a variety of first aid emergencies, such as burns, cuts and scrapes, sudden illnesses, head, neck, and back injuries, and heat and cold emergencies.
- CPR Adult: Participants learn how to perform CPR and care for breathing and cardiac emergencies in adults.
- CPR Child and Infant: Participants learn how to prevent, recognize and respond to cardiac and breathing emergencies in infants and children under 12
- AED: Participants learn how to use automatic external defibrillators
Basic Life Support (BLS)
These courses use a blended learning format. This consists of an online module and in-person skills checks. CPR/AED training carries a 2-year certification. Topics include:
- Primary assessment
- Ventilations (incl. use of CPR breathing barriers and use of BVMs)
- Choking (incl. conscious and unconscious)
- CPR (inc. one- and two-rescurer)
- Optional training in the use of epinephrine auto-injectors and asthma inhalers is available
Learn how to pick a class and sign-up as an individual or a group/ASU department.
Blood drives are sponsored quarterly by the American Red Cross. Faculty, staff, retirees, and family members can now complete their pre-reading and health history questions online by visiting redbrossblood.org on the day of their donor appointment to help reduce the time they spend at the driveby up to 15 minutes. Appointments are highly suggested!! Walk-ins are welcomed but will be taken after donors with appointments.
- 06/09/23 Outside Varsity Gym in Mobile Bus Unit
Click here to schedule an appointment.
Visit redcrossblood.org for more information.
NC Smoking Cessation Opportunities
As a State Health Plan member, you have access to a variety of tobacco cessation resources to help you quit smoking, chewing tobacco, using snuff, or even e-cigarettes (vaping).
Faculty and Staff have the opportunity to receive support for quitting smoking through N. C. Quit Now, a statewide smoking cessation partnership that operates a toll-free helpline at 1-800-784-8669. Information about their support services is available at https://www.quitlinenc.com. Information also is available from the State Health Plan website at https://www.shpnc.org.
University employees who are members of the State Health Plan can receive a 10-week supply of generic nicotine replacement therapy patches free of charge with a prescription from their physician. Information is available at the NC State Health Plan website for Tobacco Cessation Resources.