The Smart Start Partnership for Watauga County (Smart Start is the state-funded initiative that supports child care related health and family support services on behalf of children ages 0-5). It is the goal of the program that all children will start school healthy and ready to learn.
The Council provides:
- A resource center with materials that can be utilized by early educators in child care settings as well as home visitors and other professionals. It is also available to the public for home schools and families. We have a warm family friendly environment set up so children can explore and play while parents browse for resources to check out.
- Resources to start a child care center
- Professional Development-- offers assistance to promote increased education to early child care professionals. Assistance is given in professional development planning as well as a textbook lending library for child care providers in Early Childhood Education coursework.
- Pregnant and parenting teen support
- Child care resource and referral
- Drop Out prevention